When you purchase your indoor wall padding for your gymnasium, there are several items to consider before you install them on the walls. Below is a short guide to help ensure that your installation is successful and that you get it right the first time.
The padding takes up more space than you may originally measure. The foam may interfere with pad alignment once it settles or even upon installation. Therefore, you need to account for the additional space that the foam may take up.
The additional space does add up quickly. Thus, it may alter how you measure each pad across the length of the wall. This is especially important if you want each pad to be identical in height or width.
Your on-site maintenance staff may not have the knowledge or tools to cut and re-staple the pads themselves, which is why we provide a team of installers to help. Otherwise, one wrong pad can prolong the installation if you have to reorder.
The padding is available in 2-foot wide panels and up to 8 feet high, and the thickness will vary depending on the level of protection you need for your facility. Most sizes range between 1 3/8"and can range up to 2 3/8", but can be customized. The filler densities are also taken into account and designed to ensure the correct deceleration for impact based on the projected speed.
Before ordering your pads, you also need to know if there are any unique features in the room to accommodate for because these will need to be included in the order and will require special preparation. Features can include:
● Electrical outlets
● Fire extinguishers
● I beams
● Drinking fountains
Measuring the Pads
When measuring for the wall pad, here are some factors you may want to consider:
● Elevate the pads 4” off the floor for a concrete or tile floor
● Elevate the pads 4 1/2” off the floor for a wood floor
● Measure up to the desired height and level off from the marking. Do not measure up from with each pad, as the floor may not be perfectly level.
● Hire a professional to measure the cutouts. Leave room for all wall items around the pads.
● Leave room around the padding edges so that doors can open and close freely.
When ordering your field wall pads, you need to specify how you want them to be installed. There are three common methods of installation:
● Furring strips: Pieces of wood are mounted to the wall, then the pads are nailed directly to the wood. This is best for a more permanent installation that you prefer not to be easily removed.
● Z-clips: The Z-clips are attached to the back of the panels, while Z-Clip bars are attached to the wall. Then, the pads can easily slide into place. This is best for pads that you prefer to be easily removed when necessary.
● Concrete screws: Tapcon screws are used to attach gym wall padding directly to concrete walls. These are used for permanent installation.
Wall Padding Maintenance
Once the pads are installed, keeping it in the best possible condition means regular maintenance and upkeep, and a few common things to consider include:
● Having periodic inspections ensures the padding is still secured effectively to the surface.
● Keeping the padding clean and free of debris buildup will also help increase its durability and longevity. In most cases, a mild dish detergent and warm water is the best option, but it is recommended to check with the manufacturer for the correct cleaning products.
● Scheduling regular inspections for holes or tears, then repairing or replacing as needed.
● Take extra care if you store the padding and keep the temperature at an optimum level.
● Ensure that any staff handling the pads have the appropriate training.
Athlete Safety Is Your Primary Concern
The purpose of your wall pads is to keep your athletes and event participants safe during a collision with the wall. Therefore, you need to make sure that the entire area is covered. For instance, in a basketball gym, areas of concern may include the baseline walls, bleachers, side walls, or the backboard. Try to determine precisely where someone can get hurt during a competition or practice.
Why Choose the Professionals at Fieldwallpads.com
Keeping your walls and your players protected means utilizing a company that has been specializing in the industry for over 32 years. We are a leader in quality and set standards when it comes to meeting our customer’s needs. Our designers specialize in bringing our clients' vision to life with a product made with care and precision. And we use state-of-the-art equipment that provides superior performance at a fair price our clients know and trust.
Fieldwallpads.com Can Help You Protect Your Players
Are you looking for a practical and affordable solution for keeping your athletes safe? Then contact Fieldwallpads.com. We offer wall padding for all types of outdoor and indoor sports facilities.
To find out more about our products or schedule a consultation, call us at 800-257-6406. You can also message us on our contact page.